phonetically transcribed CDS

JAN R EDWARDS jedwards2 at wisc.edu
Tue Dec 5 15:08:24 UTC 2006

Hi everyone,

While we are on the subject of CDS, I have a question also.
We are working on developing CDS lexicons for several languages
(English, Greek, Cantonese, Japanese).  Because we are interested
in phoneme frequency and phoneme sequence frequency, we need
to phonetically transcribe and segment the mother's (or other
caregiver's) speech.  This turns out to be somewhat complicated
in the case of CDS, because we have to make decisions about
where the word boundaries should be for infants.  For example,
how many words in "didja know..."  Is anyone else working
on this or similar questions in English or other languages?

Yours,
Jan