PhD studentships at Lancaster University

Katie Alcock k.j.alcock at lancaster.ac.uk
Tue Feb 7 18:11:09 UTC 2006

Please forward this to interested undergraduate and Masters students and
research assistants.

Lancaster University
Department of Psychology

Postgraduate Funding Opportunities (PhD) in 2006

The Department of Psychology at Lancaster University is pleased to announce
the following funding opportunities, tenable from October 2006:

2 ESRC 1+3 Quota Studentships
These are four-year studentships, which provide fees plus maintenance (circa
£12,000) for home students and fees only for EU students. In the first year
you complete an MSc in Psychological Research Methods, followed by a 3-year
PhD programme.

2 Departmental Teaching Studentships
These are three-year studentships, which provide fees plus an annual stipend
(at Research Council rates) to support PhD research. The successful
candidates will be expected to contribute to teaching in the Department.

The Department of Psychology at Lancaster University was rated 5a in the
2001 Research Assessment Exercise and achieved the highest rating (24/24) in
its most recent Teaching Quality Assessment.  We welcome applications from
enthusiastic, motivated, well-qualified candidates who have or expect to
obtain a first class or high 2(i) honours degree in Psychology or a related
discipline.

We offer research supervision in the following areas:

Cognitive Psychology
Developmental Psychology
Neuroscience
Social Psychology

Our Centre for Research in Human Development is notable for its exceptional
resources including purpose-built labs and large database of families who
are keen to participate in research.  More information about the Centre can
be found at:

http://www.psych.lancs.ac.uk/research/centre.html

In particular, we have strengths in language and literacy development (Dr
Katie Alcock, Dr Kate Cain), infant development (Prof Gavin Bremner, Dr Dina
Lew), social and cognitive development (Prof Mark Howe, Prof Charlie Lewis,
Dr Eugene Subbotsky, and Dr John Towse).

Features of our doctoral program

    Excellent guidance and supervision, with 100% of our full-time students
completing their doctoral dissertations within four years.

    Modern facilities for laboratory-based cognitive and social psychology
research, including rooms for computer-based group and individual testing,
and a social psychology research suite.

    A unique Centre for Research in Human Development, which houses our
state-of-the art developmental psychology laboratories.

    The new Sensory Neuroscience Unit, which houses eye-movement recording
equipment, EEG and multichannel evoked potential recording facilities, and
two sound-proofed booths for auditory research. Neuroscience research in the
department also benefits from a dedicated fMRI analysis suite.

More details about our PhD programme can be found at: [
http://www.psych.lancs.ac.uk/pg/phd_info.html
]http://www.psych.lancs.ac.uk/pg/phd_info.html

Purpose-built living accommodation and social facilities are available in
the University Graduate College.  Further details may be found at: [
http://www.psych.lancs.ac.uk ]http://www.psych.lancs.ac.uk

For information about how to apply, please contact (as soon as possible):
Dr. Mark Levine, Director of Postgraduate Studies for the Department;
(01524) 592915; Email [ mailto:E.Chronicle at lancaster.ac.uk
]m.levine at lancaster.ac.uk
or Dr Jenny Harding, Postgraduate Co-ordinator; (01524) 594975; Email:
j.harding at lancaster.ac.uk

Closing date for applications: 15th March 2006
Interviews will be held in the week beginning: 20th March 2005