new ideas

aubrey at pigeonpostbox.co.uk aubrey at pigeonpostbox.co.uk
Tue Jan 3 16:04:59 UTC 2006

Dear Margaret,

If translational symmetry describes the echo, it may also also bear on
syntactic merger and the surface expression of endocentricity in the
auditory medium of spoken language - making Merge a plausible case of
linguistic new from old. But do you mean that mathematical principles
like translational symmetry are sufficient to explain all properties of
what have been postulated as linguistic universals? or that
translational symmetry represents just one case where they do? There
seem to be obvious advantages in maximising the new from old. But if
this is taken to the limit, there are no language-specificities. Both
the general distribution and the detailed forms of children's speech
and language disorders are then hard to explain other than as
consequences of the parenting or quantity/quality of child-directed
speech/language. This does not seem to me promising as a line of
explanation - clinically or otherwise.

Aubrey