Indefinite Nouns in Discourse

nbatman at hunter.cuny.edu nbatman at hunter.cuny.edu
Thu Jan 5 16:40:40 UTC 2006

Hello,

A little while ago I posted an inquiry about indefinie animate nouns in
discourse.  My goal was to find out information in experimental work or
corpora analysis about how grammatical roles are assigned to two
animate nouns when one of them is indefinite. In the experiment that I
conducted, in the absence of morphological cues and with ambiguous word
order children and adults preferred an animate definite noun as a
subject over an animate indefinite noun.  Theres Gruter had similar
findings with her L1 controls in an L2 study with Egnlish speakers
learning German. (Grüter, T. (in press).  Another take on the L2
initial state.  Language Acquisition. )

Thanks to everyone who responded to my query.  Here is a summary of the

Hickmann, M. & Hendriks, H. (1999).  Cohesion and anaphora in
children?s narratives: a comparison of English, French, German, and
Mandarin Chinese.  Journal of Child Language, 26, 419-451.

Höhle, B., Weissenborn, J., Kiefer, D., Schulz, A, & Schmitz, M (2002)
The origins of syntactic categorization for lexical elements: The role
of determiners. In J. Costa & M.J. Freitas (eds.) Proceedings of the
GALA 2001 Conference on Language Acquisition. Lisboa, Associação
Portugesa de Linguística, 106-111.

Kail, M. & Hickmann, M. (1992). French children's ability to introduce
referents in narratives as a function of mutual knowledge. First
Language, 12, 73-94.
  Kempe, V. & MacWhinney, B. (1999). Processing of morphological and
semantic cues in Russian and German.  Language and Cognitive Processes,
14, 129-171.

Limber, J. (1976). Unraveling competence, performance, and pragmatics
in the speech of young children. Journal of Child Language, 3, 309-318.

YAMAMOTO, M. 1999. Animacy and Reference: Studies in Language Companion
Series. Amsterdam / Philidelphia: John Benjamins.

Best regards,
Natalie
--
Natalie Batmanian