French MOR

Brian MacWhinney macw at mac.com
Mon Jan 16 18:54:20 UTC 2006

Dear Christophe and Info-CHILDES,

      OK, I see now more clearly how this is organized.  Thanks for
the clarifications. The distance between the French and Spanish/
Italian systems is far less than I saw at first.  And the coverage
for French is far greater than I was estimating.  To test this, I ran
the French MOR on the Champaud data and found only 363 "missing"
forms.  Usually, we have twice that number  for a new corpus.
Moreover, virtually none of these "missing" form are truly missing.
Rather they involve a few spelling errors and issues with the proper
treatment of abbreviations (qu'il, s'adapte, t'apporte, d'aller).
Also, the proper representation of compounds is another tricky
thing.  In any case, the distance to be traveled to getting the
French data fully analyzed by MOR and POST should not be anywhere
near as far as I originally thought.
     Hopefully we will be able to review some of these details next
week in Paris.  Many thanks for the clarifications.

--Brian MacWhinney