dialect samples on-line

Mary Erbaugh erbaugh at transit212.com
Fri Jan 27 20:16:58 UTC 2006

Shelley,

Try samples from:

http://www.ic.arizona.edu/~lsp/index.html

http://www.evolpub.com/Americandialects/AmDialLnx.html

http://accent.gmu.edu/browse_maps/namerica.php

Other links are possible from Karen Chung's homepage, under
'accents'  http://ccms.ntu.edu.tw/~karchung/linguistics%20links.htm

Also, try the links from the American Dialect Society  www.americandialect.org

Bill Labov has just published a beautiful Atlas of American English, with
CD.  It is expensive, but see if your library will buy it from
Mouton    http://web.uni-marburg.de/linguistik//dgweb/atlas/

Also, have a look at the MLA's wonderful, interactive color maps of
languages in America.   You can type in zip codes and get user-friendly but
detailed language breakdowns based on census data of the 30 most commonly
spoken languages in the US.  www.mla.org

Mary Erbaugh
Center for Asian and Pacific Studies
University of Oregon