early plural comprehension?

Richard M. Weist weist at fredonia.edu
Wed Mar 8 15:43:53 UTC 2006

Dear Brian,

    As I understand your message, you are ultimately interested in the
comprehension - production lag, and you are approaching the problem
through the singular - plural distinction because of linguistic and
methodological transparency.

"We are hoping that such information could shed
further light on the comprehension-production lag during this
period."

    I might suggest that you can also approach this problem by
investigating temporal and spatial reference with a similar
methodological advantage.  Here are three references with one on the
comprehension side of the issue and two on the production side.  I have
added a forth reference that places this work in an integrated and
larger context.

Weist, R.M., Atanassova, M., Wysocka, H., & Pawlak, A. (1999).  Spatial
and temporal systems             in child language and thought: A
cross-linguistic study.  First Language, 19, 267-312.

Weist, R. M., Pawlak, A., & Carapella, J. (2004).  Syntactic-semantic
interface in the acquisition of verb morphology.  Journal of Child
Language, 31, 31 - 60.

 <>Internicola, R. & Weist, R. M. (2003).  The acquisition of simple and
complex spatial locatives in             English: A longitudinal
investigation.  First Language, 23, 239 -248.

Weist, R. M. (2002).  Space and time in first and second language
acquisition: A tribute to Henning Wode (pp. 79-108).  In P. Burmeister,
T. Piske, A. Rohde (Eds.) An integrated view of language development:
Papers in honor of Henning Wode. Trier: Wissenschaftlicher Verlag Trier
(WVT).

Regards,
Dick

--