early plural comprehension?]

David Barner barner at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Mar 8 17:06:48 UTC 2006

Hi all,

Susan Carey and colleagues have done several studies on the topic which
support the idea that comprehension emerges at around 22-months (with
production).

The studies test s-p knowledge with:

1. preferential looking (Kouider, Halberda, Wood & Carey, in press
Language Learning and Development)
2. manual search (Barner, Thalwitz, Wood, Yang & Carey, under review;
Wood, Kouider, Halberda & Carey, under review)

The first task finds successful use of singular-plural morpho-syntax in
preferential looking at 24-months but not 20-months.

The second (Barner et al) finds successful non-verbal discrimination of
singular and plural sets at 22-months, which is driven by children whose
parents report they use plural nouns (on the MCDI). It also finds lack
of s-p comprehension and production at 20-months.

The third study (Wood et al.) finds successful comprehension of s-p to
guide reaching in manual search at 24- but not 20-months.

Cheers,
Dave Barner