pitch shifts

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Sat Mar 18 22:11:52 UTC 2006

Dear Info-CHILDES,

    Over the last four years, we have been attempting to provide
continually better support in CHAT and CLAN for transcribers who are
familiar with Conversation Analysis (CA) transcription format.  At
first, we simply provided a few CA symbols inside the CLAN editor
without fully  integrating CA and CHAT modes.  Then, we began to
provide methods for automatic alignment of overlaps and fuller
support for all the special CA characters.  Later, we eliminated any
overt distinction between CA and CHAT by allowing full access to all
CA characters from basic CHAT mode.  The various CA characters and
forms we support can be found at http://talkbank.org/ca/
    Some of these changes have imposed unacceptable restrictions on
CA coding in order to allow us to use CLAN programs like CHECK, FREQ,
etc.  However, we have also been developing a program called CHAT2CA
that automatically removes all these ugly CHAT restrictions and
allows CA users to redisplay their files in a purer CA format.
    The other side of this work involves a slow adaptation of CHAT
conventions to look more like CA conventions wherever that makes good
sense.  The first major change in this direction is, as I have
mentioned, the fact that all the codes given at http://talkbank.org/
ca/codes.html are currently legal in CHAT and should pass CHECK.
These codes mark things like pitch shift, height, tempo change,
creaky voice, breath, and loudness.   These features were not marked
in the current CHAT transcripts, so there was no need to reformat the
transcripts to use these codes.  However, they are now available for
future work.
     In addition, I have now replaced the earlier system of CHAT
markings for prosodic shift (shift to high, shift to low) with the
corresponding CA forms.  This means that -' was changed to the up
arrow ↑ and -_ was changed to the down arrow ↓.  As in CA, these
markers appear next to the words they affect and are not surrounded
by spaces.  I have removed old section 7.4 from the manual where
these markers were described and put the relevant material into
section 6.4.  I have removed the -, and similar symbols from the
CHECK depfile and replaced all occurrences of the old symbols in the
database with the new CA forms.
      I hope that people interested in marking these features will
find the new methods of coding useful.

Good luck,

Brian MacWhinney