language development and breastfeeding

Tomblin, J B j-tomblin at uiowa.edu
Thu Mar 23 16:29:36 UTC 2006

Several years ago we published a study (Tomblin, Smith, & Zhang, 1997)
on prenatal and infancy risk factors for SLI at 6 years of age that
included retrospective information on breastfeeding.  When mother's
education was controlled breastfeeding was a significant protective
factor for language outcome (odds ratio=0.5).  We also found that there
was a dose effect in that longer periods of breastfeeding had a stronger
effect than shorter periods.  More recently, Drane and Logemann (2000)
published a systematic review of literature on breastfeeding and
cognitive outcomes.  Their findings were that the literature, although
limited, supported an association between breastfeeding and better
cognitive outcomes. These authors note that most research (including my
study), has not differentiated between pure breastfeeding and
combinations of breast and formula feeding which makes interpretation
more difficult.  I believe Denise Drane has recently completed a
dissertation on language development and breastfeeding at Northwestern
where this was controlled.

Tomblin, J. B., Smith, E. & Zhang, X. (1997) Epidemiology of SLI:
Prenatal and perinatal risk factors. Journal of Communication Disorders,
30, 325-344.

Drane, D. & Logemann, J. (2000) A critical evaluation of the evidence on
the association of infant feeding and cognitive development. Paediatric
and Perinatal Epidemiology, 14, 349-356.