warning on formats and media

Madalena Cruz-Ferreira ellmcf at nus.edu.sg
Fri Mar 24 11:21:47 UTC 2006

Dear Peyton and all,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Just one short addition to what you wrote:

>no one knows how long DVDs will keep. I'm really scared of them myself.

If you live in a tropical climate, they will besides rot away wherever you store them -- unless you ziplock them, one by one. I learned this the hard way. So yes, external hard drives are my current choice too. But I also had to learn not to use them to full capacity. If I do, I can't access their contents on my laptop. The technician who recently helped me retrieve my files told me that these drives were created with portability in mind, not as permanent storage devices.

Thanks for all this really, really useful information!

Madalena

Madalena Cruz-Ferreira
Dept. English Language and Literature
National University of Singapore