baby cam

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Thu May 18 16:00:36 UTC 2006

Dear Info-CHILDES,

     I very much appreciate Margaret's input on this issue.  However,
my own reaction to this project, when Deb Roy first mentioned it to
me about a year ago, was different from Margaret's.  I considered it
a remarkable opportunity for a busy father to spend more time with
his child than might otherwise be possible.  Personally, I still very
much value the fact that I was  able to join work and family life for
several years in the process of recording and transcribing speech
samples from my own children.
     I agree with Margaret that one of the big outputs of this type
of project is in the area of systems computing and terabyte storage
management.  This work will inevitably have consequences outside of
the field of child language.  For example, there is an interesting
project here at CMU that seeks to use similar video technology to
monitor patients in extended care centers to make sure that they are
receiving care and attention when required.
      On the issue of IRB review, I understand that there is no
intention to publish these data generally, so the concerns that
Margaret raises in that regard would not apply.
      Margaret assumes somehow that the child cannot leave the
house.  I don't see anything that suggests this to be true.  I am
copying this message to Deb Roy so that he can perhaps further
clarify us all regarding such details.
       On the negative side, I must say that I am not much of a fan
of the fisheye lens video view.  My Ross used the fisheye lens a lot
in his skateboard videos, particularly in facial close-ups, and that
was indeed creepy!

--Brian MacWhinney