We have ways of making them talk

Matthew Saxton M.Saxton at ioe.ac.uk
Mon Nov 27 08:51:47 UTC 2006

Dear Fatima,

>Does anyone know of some good ideas to  make them talk?

I think most children are covered by the United Nations Convention on
Human Rights, so it may not be politic to encourage your participants
with excessive zeal.

However, I do think you put your finger on a fundamental problem in
child language research. I wonder if you have the wherewithal to
increase the range of contexts in which you elicit language? Bath-time,
shopping, in the park, at the movies, getting dressed, visiting friends
and so on. If you obtained data in this way, future generations would
regard you as a pioneer (says he, just begging for counter-examples).

But even if you (or others) did all this, you might still find some of
the desired morphemes missing from your dataset. And then you might
consider going back to try those contexts again at different times. Or
extending the range of contexts even further. But even then, you may
well face the conundrum of simply not being able to elicit all the
knowledge in the child's head at a given time versus the (very real)
possibility that some of that knowledge is not there yet. Sorry not to
be more optimistic, but there are very real methodological limits placed
on us which go beyond the temptation to make children speak........

Regards,

Matthew Saxton.

Matthew Saxton MA, MSc, DPhil

School of Psychology and Human Development,

Institute of Education,

25 Woburn Square,

London,

WC1H 0AA.