bilingual children and L3

Barbara Zurer Pearson bpearson at comdis.umass.edu
Mon Oct 2 13:10:39 UTC 2006

Dear Info-Childes,

While you are thinking about bilingual development for Peter Marschik,
I would like to throw in my question, too.

I am interviewing people for a book on raising bilingual children.  I
have a survey (about 15 questions) that I can email, one for parents
and one for their children (or for people who were bilingual from
childhood).
(I am also trying to put it on my website--I'll email again when I get
that working.)  If people prefer just to talk about it and are willing
to send me their phone number, I would be happy to call them.

I am especially looking for two "garden-variety" American parents, who
raised their child(ren) bilingually--like George Saunders in Australia,
for those familiar with his books. These are monolinguals (or second
language learners themselves) who choose to surround their children
with two languages early on (or send them to an immersion program).

I'd also like stories from people who tried and decided to give it
up--or who think they were not as successful as they had hoped.  Or
people in potentially bilingual environments who decided against it.

I am particularly interested in respondents who are not linguists--if
you could put me in touch with them, (but I will not be prejudiced
against linguists--some of my best friends are linguists! :)

The publisher has said I can give copies of the book (when it's
published) to the first 50 people whose stories I use.

So, can you help me out?  Please send emails or phone numbers.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Sincerely,

Barbara (Z. Pearson)
Home: 413-256-3435 (in Amherst MA, USA)
Office: 413-545-5023
bpearson at research.umass.edu
bpearson at comdis.umass.edu

On Oct 2, 2006, at 4:17 AM, <peter.marschik at meduni-graz.at> wrote:

> Dear info-childes members,
>
> I was currently asked about a possible advantage of bilingual children
> for
> learning a third language.
> Please could anyone share your experiences and expertise on that
> question?
>
> Thank you very much in advance
> With kind regards
> Peter B Marschik