Bill Bright Memorial Award

Lise Menn lise.menn at colorado.edu
Sat Oct 21 15:17:38 UTC 2006

I am relaying this notice to my info-childes colleagues from the
Linguist List, in case anyone would like to donate to or to apply for
funding from this award.
	Lise Menn

From: Nick Emlen < emlen at haskins.yale.edu >
Subject: Bill Bright Memorial Fund

Bill Bright Memorial Award Created

We are saddened to report the passing of Bill Bright, a long-time
colleague
and prolific scholar. Bill's family has requested that memorial
contributions be made to the Endangered Language Fund. We have created a
fund that will enable the creation of the Bill Bright Award. This
will help
memorialize his many years of contributions to linguistics, and of his
service to the profession as editor of Language, 1966-87, Language in
Society, 1992-99, the first edition of the International Encyclopedia of
Linguistics, and founding editor of Written Language and Literacy,
1998-2003. From among the annual applications to the Endangered Language
Fund's grant program, one successful project from those dealing with
languages in the Americas or in South Asia will be selected. This
will be
the project that best combines Bill's areal interests--North and Central
America, South Asia--with his topic interests:

- language description
- language and culture
- sociolinguistics
- writing systems
- creating culturally-acceptable orthographies for minority languages
- differences between written and oral language
- oral literatures and their poetics
- onomastics, toponyms and naming in general

The Bill Bright project will receive a separate press release and an
additional amount of money equal to 10% of the proposed budget. We hope
that this supplement will allow for additional efforts to promote the
work
in the native speaker communities and with the general public.

Please help us honor Bill's memory by sending a contribution to:

The Endangered Language Fund
  300 George Street, Suite 900
  New Haven, CT 06511

Please make a note that this is in honor of Bill so that the funds
can be
ear-marked for this award.

Online donations can be made here:

https://www.networkforgood.org/donate/MakeDonation2.aspx?
ORGID2=061459207

Please put ''Bill Bright Fund'' in the Designation area.

-Nick Emlen

Lise Menn                      Office: 303-492-1609
Linguistics Dept.           Fax: 303-413-0017
295 UCB                         Hellems 293
University of Colorado
Boulder CO 80309-0295

Professor of Linguistics, University of  Colorado
Secretary, AAAS Section Z [Linguistics]