Babbling / First word

Matthew Saxton M.Saxton at ioe.ac.uk
Tue Sep 12 08:03:31 UTC 2006

"momma" (or some /m/-initial variant: "mom", "mummy") suggested as the
child's first word. Ease of articulation was given as the reason in this
case also.

Having said that, my son's first word was "cheers," presumably because
the champagne being handed round was more salient than either of his
parents. The point here is that ease of articulation is probably only
one factor dictating production of the child's first recognisable word
form.

Without some hard evidence, though, I think we may have another case of
counting words for "snow" in Eskimo.......

Matthew Saxton MA, MSc, DPhil
Senior Lecturer in Psychology,
School of Psychology and Human Development,
Institute of Education,
25 Woburn Square,
London,
WC1H 0AA.