No subject

tina.bennett tina.bennett at wichita.edu
Tue Sep 12 21:17:20 UTC 2006

One of my daughters used, as her first word (at
about 6 months) /da/, meaning "that", with rising intonation,
accompanied by pointing to objects she wanted us to name.

She also produced a very credible "hi" when just
two weeks old and we were ignoring her in favor
of a football game on television. Even my father,
a speech pathologist, heard it and his mouth dropped open.
It was the first thing we used to say to her every time we
initiated interactions. But of course
it is impossible for a newborn to have done such a thing.

-Tina Bennett-Kastor