babbling/first words

Nan Ratner nratner at hesp.umd.edu
Wed Sep 13 00:12:01 UTC 2006

And then there are the atypical kids. My son, Adami, couldn't say Mama
for years, he said Nana instead, but managed "trash truck" much better,
as one of his first 10 words, although it came out without the /r/ and
/k/; however, the affricates and fricative came out just fine. Go
figure. He had SLI and some of the kids we followed in Rescorla and
Ratner (1996) also had weird initial phonemic inventories.

Nan

Nan Bernstein Ratner, Professor and Chairman
Department of Hearing and Speech Sciences
0100 Lefrak Hall
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742
nratner at hesp.umd.edu
http://www.bsos.umd.edu/hesp/facultyStaff/ratnern.htm
301-405-4213
301-314-2023 (fax)

>>> Carol Stoel-Gammon <csg at u.washington.edu> 09/12/06 5:41 PM >>>
As as been noted by many of the respondents, the first word of many
children (including mine) is something other than daddy. It is true,
however, that for American children, daddy is among the very first
words. Based on data from the CHILDES data base, daddy is produced by

50% of children at age 11.48 months, while mommy is produced by 50%
of children at 11.64 months. Other words on the CHILDES list reach
the 50% criterion after 12.28 months.

Carol Stoel-Gammon, Ph.D.
Professor, Speech and Hearing Sciences
University of Washington