first words

Barbara Davis babs at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Sep 13 16:59:36 UTC 2006

On the deeper origins of 'daddy' and 'mommy' as first words: Dean Falk's
2004 BBS commentary "Prelinguistic evolution in early hominids: Whence
motherese?" considers the importance of  increasing necessity for early
hominid mothers to be separated from their babies while foraging as creating
selection pressures for an elaboration of the dyadic vocal communication
pattern. She suggests an early linkage between nasal demand sounds and the
word for female parent. For contrast, the label for male parent would
be oral. This potential hypothesis for early contrastive use of 'daddy' and
'mommy' in first vocabularies is emphasized in a study of kinship terms in
474 contemporary languages, where Murdock found that 78% of words for mother
began with a nasal consonant while 66% of words for father began with an
oral consonant. Early sounds available to the infant production system
include both [b] and [d], so the concept of ease is not easy to establish.
 Babs Davis

--
Barbara L. Davis, Ph.D.
Professor and Graduate Advisor