first words

Jay McClelland jlm at psych.stanford.edu
Wed Sep 13 17:17:25 UTC 2006

Tardif, Twila wrote:
> And my daughter's was very clearly "I'ee" (Iggy without consonants), the
> name of our cat but it took a while before we figured that out.  Dada
> was next though and referred to BOTH mom and dad and nobody else.

What an enjoyable conversation this is turning out to be! I hope others
are learning as much as I am from it.

I have recently moved from Carnegie Mellon to Stanford and my Stanford
address was not recognized by the list, so (now that I've been
rehabilitated) I am including here the message that I attempted to send
to the list yesterday. Twila's anecdote seems to support the greater
power of 'No Coda' relative to 'Onset' discussed in my message, which
follows here:

Two quick comments: First, the CV syllables used by babies are
essentially universally preferred and this fact is represented in the
two parade-case constraints from optimality theory: "Onset" and "No
Coda". Onset may be weaker than no coda -- this is supported by cases
like aba from semitic languages (see text below!).

Second comment is that b is the most frequent onset in monomorphemic
English monosyllables, based on CELEX. b, p, and m are the most frequent
voiced stop, unvoiced stop, and nasal onsets respectively (that is b > d
or g, p > t or k, m > n; there is no onset velar nasal). Not clear why
we have dada and papa but not baba in English (do young children
contrastively control b and p well? Maybe baba vs papa are in the ear of
the behearer?), or maybe that is taken for 'baby'? In french we have the
full set: maman, papa, and be'be' (excuse my weak rendition of the
accent aigue!).

More speculatively, I think it's been suggested that young children have
trouble gaining control of liquids and fricatives which may require
finer control for correct articulation (perhaps this was part of
Jacobson's speculations?) Liquids are used frequently in onsets by
adults but not apparently by babies.
-- Jay McClelland

---------------
http://www.path-light.com/IAM11.htm

/ Abba i/s an Aramaic word, found in Mark 14:36; Rom. 8:15 and Gal. 4:6.
In the Gemara (a Rabbinical commentary on the Mishna, the traditional
teaching of the Jews) it is stated that slaves were forbidden to address
the head of the family by this title. It approximates to a personal
name, in contrast to "Father," with which it is always joined in the NT.
This is probably due to the fact that, abba having practically become a
proper name, Greek-speaking Jews added the Greek word pater, "father,"
from the language they used. Abba is the word framed by the lips of
infants, and betokens unreasoning trust; "father" expresses an
intelligent apprehension of the relationship. The two together express
the love and intelligent confidence of the child (Vine’s).

-----------------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abba

*Abba* (or *Aba*) means "father <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father>"
in most Semitic languages
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semitic_languages>. The Syriac
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syriac> or Chaldee version of the word is
found three times in the New Testament
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Testament> (Mark
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_of_Mark> 14:36; Romans
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epistle_to_the_Romans> 8:15; Galatians
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galatians> 4:6), and in each case is
followed by its Greek <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_language>
equivalent, which is translated "father." It is a term expressing warm
affection and filial confidence. It has no perfect equivalent in the
English language. It has passed into European languages as an
ecclesiastical term, "abbot." See Abba in the New Testament
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aramaic_of_Jesus#Abba_.28.CE.91.CE.B2.CE.B2.CE.B1.29>.
Most modern Israelis <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel> (along with
other semitic-speaking peoples) call their fathers /*Abba*/ as one would
use "Dad <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father>" or "Daddy
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daddy>" in English. Unfortunately this
translation also falls far short of the original meaning.