first words

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Thu Sep 14 01:18:06 UTC 2006

Dear Info-CHILDES,
    Thanks to Alison for posting the clarification regarding her son
Tilden's production of "bears" at 4 months and "elk" and "igloo"
shortly thereafter.  These are indeed real months, not months after
the beginning of speech as I (perhaps facetiously) had suggested.
    What happens to early word learning theory if we take
observations of this type seriously (as I think we should)?  I see
some possibilities:
1.  The observations are correct, but the actual productions were so
sporadic and rare that they can be dismissed as chance combinations.
2.  Tilden actually heard the words in the adult speech and they
managed to creep into his babbling repertoire as "amalgams" or
"frozen forms" copied in their entirety.
3.  There was some subliminal shaping going on through which Tilden
said something like "bears" or "elk" and Alison and her husband then
latched onto this and shaped up production of the sound.

Until this possible phenomenon is more fully documented, it would be
premature to even attempt to decide between such possibilities.  But,
in principle, one can easily imagine words being learned as sound
forms long before they are learned as meaningful sound-meaning
associations.  It seems to me that this is exactly what the recent
burst of interest in statistical learning would predict.  If children
are doing such great segmentation, shouldn't they be storing the
results of the segmentation as raw sound forms?  And if a particular
child, such as Tilden perhaps, is rather good at auditory-
articulatory matching or mapping, then that child could indeed
produce such "words" long before the onset of the first real word.

I think I observed something like this in my older boy Ross, but it
is the type of thing that, if you see it, you tell yourself you must
be dreaming.  I wonder if anyone else besides Alison has spotted this?

Brian MacWhinney