first words

Marilyn Vihman m.vihman at bangor.ac.uk
Thu Sep 14 07:24:22 UTC 2006

>Two quick comments: First, the CV syllables used by babies are
>essentially universally preferred and this fact is represented in
>the two parade-case constraints from optimality theory: "Onset" and
>"No Coda". Onset may be weaker than no coda -- this is supported by
>cases like aba from semitic languages (see text below!).
>
>Second comment is that b is the most frequent onset in monomorphemic
>English monosyllables, based on CELEX. b, p, and m are the most
>frequent voiced stop, unvoiced stop, and nasal onsets respectively
>(that is b > d or g, p > t or k, m > n; there is no onset velar
>nasal). Not clear why we have dada and papa but not baba in English
>(do young children contrastively control b and p well? Maybe baba vs
>papa are in the ear of the behearer?), or maybe that is taken for
>'baby'? In french we have the full set: maman, papa, and be'be'
>(excuse my weak rendition of the accent aigue!).

Just in answer to this bit, Jay - children do NOT contrastively
control voiceless/voiced (or voice onset time, more specifically) in
the usual first word period: See Macken, 1980, in Yeni-komshian et
al., Child Phonology, who discusses the work on stop production, esp.
in English and Spanish - but I havne't seen any studies giving
evidence of such a distinction at 12-18 mos.

As for 'onset', you're right: In many languages VCV is an extremely
common early word pattern, with even stops being omitted
word-initially. I think this is a reflection of the accentual
pattern: if stress is not word initial (as in most English words), or
there are geminate consonants, the first syllable is less salient and
the onset C is too.

Finally, in reposne to the long question from Deborah Gibson - and
also Brian's speculative comments on first words - Lorraine McCune
and I have a 1994 JChLg paper that provides criteria for identifying
first words, using both form and meaning and also parental id and
frequency of occurrence in a recording session and range of use. For
identifying early words we do not expect a close relationship with
the adult form OR meaning, but there are criteria that can be used -
and we like to think of it as a dialogue between two observers rather
than hard science...These criteria are also reprinted in my book
(1996, Blackwell).

I wouldn't get too excited aobut accidental occurrences of sporadic
adult-sounding vocalisations produced by pre-canonical infants! It's
not that different from sound change: If Northern Pomo /ma:/ and
Estonian /ma:/ both mean 'ground, land',do we jump to the conclusion
that this N. Calif. language and that Finno-Ugric language must be
related historically...?

-marilyn

>More speculatively, I think it's been suggested that young children
>have trouble gaining control of liquids and fricatives which may
>require finer control for correct articulation (perhaps this was
>part of Jacobson's speculations?) Liquids are used frequently in
>onsets by adults but not apparently by babies.
>-- Jay McClelland
>
>---------------
>http://www.path-light.com/IAM11.htm
>
>/ Abba i/s an Aramaic word, found in Mark 14:36; Rom. 8:15 and Gal.
>4:6. In the Gemara (a Rabbinical commentary on the Mishna, the
>traditional teaching of the Jews) it is stated that slaves were
>forbidden to address the head of the family by this title. It
>approximates to a personal name, in contrast to "Father," with which
>it is always joined in the NT. This is probably due to the fact
>that, abba having practically become a proper name, Greek-speaking
>Jews added the Greek word pater, "father," from the language they
>used. Abba is the word framed by the lips of infants, and betokens
>unreasoning trust; "father" expresses an intelligent apprehension of
>the relationship. The two together express the love and intelligent
>confidence of the child (Vine's).
>
>-----------------
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abba
>
>*Abba* (or *Aba*) means "father
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father>" in most Semitic languages
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semitic_languages>. The Syriac
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syriac> or Chaldee version of the word
>is found three times in the New Testament
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Testament> (Mark
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_of_Mark> 14:36; Romans
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epistle_to_the_Romans> 8:15; Galatians
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galatians> 4:6), and in each case is
>followed by its Greek <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_language>
>equivalent, which is translated "father." It is a term expressing
>warm affection and filial confidence. It has no perfect equivalent
>in the English language. It has passed into European languages as an
>ecclesiastical term, "abbot." See Abba in the New Testament
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aramaic_of_Jesus#Abba_.28.CE.91.CE.B2.CE.B2.CE.B1.29>.
>Most modern Israelis <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel> (along
>with other semitic-speaking peoples) call their fathers /*Abba*/ as
>one would use "Dad <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father>" or "Daddy
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daddy>" in English. Unfortunately this
>translation also falls far short of the original meaning.

   Marilyn M. Vihman		       |
   Professor, Developmental Psychology  |      /\
   School of Psychology                 |     /  \/\
   University of Wales, Bangor          |  /\/    \ \
   The Brigantia Building	       | /        \ \
   Penrallt Road	          	       |/   =======\=\
   Gwynedd LL57 2AS              	       |
   tel. 44 (0)1248 383 775	       | B A N G O R
   FAX             382 599              |

Gall y neges e-bost hon, ac unrhyw atodiadau a anfonwyd gyda hi,
gynnwys deunydd cyfrinachol ac wedi eu bwriadu i'w defnyddio'n unig
gan y sawl y cawsant eu cyfeirio ato (atynt). Os ydych wedi derbyn y
neges e-bost hon trwy gamgymeriad, rhowch wybod i'r anfonwr ar
unwaith a dilëwch y neges. Os na fwriadwyd anfon y neges atoch chi,
rhaid i chi beidio â defnyddio, cadw neu ddatgelu unrhyw wybodaeth a
gynhwysir ynddi. Mae unrhyw farn neu safbwynt yn eiddo i'r sawl a'i
hanfonodd yn unig  ac nid yw o anghenraid yn cynrychioli barn
Prifysgol Cymru, Bangor. Nid yw Prifysgol Cymru, Bangor yn gwarantu
bod y neges e-bost hon neu unrhyw atodiadau yn rhydd rhag firysau neu
100% yn ddiogel. Oni bai fod hyn wedi ei ddatgan yn uniongyrchol yn
nhestun yr e-bost, nid bwriad y neges e-bost hon yw ffurfio contract
rhwymol - mae rhestr o lofnodwyr awdurdodedig ar gael o Swyddfa
Cyllid Prifysgol Cymru, Bangor.  www.bangor.ac.uk

This email and any attachments may contain confidential material and
is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s).  If you have
received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete this email.  If you are not the intended recipient(s), you
must not use, retain or disclose any information contained in this
email.  Any views or opinions are solely those of the sender and do
not necessarily represent those of the University of Wales, Bangor.
The University of Wales, Bangor does not guarantee that this email or
any attachments are free from viruses or 100% secure.  Unless
expressly stated in the body of the text of the email, this email is
not intended to form a binding contract - a list of authorised
signatories is available from the University of Wales, Bangor Finance
Office.  www.bangor.ac.uk