first words

Deborah Gibson debgibson at telus.net
Tue Sep 19 04:33:23 UTC 2006

Thank you to everyone who responded, both to me directly and on this
wonderful resource, to my question about the criteria for determining
a child's 'real' words.   Two ideas particularly helpful to me
resulted from this discussion. The first was that I consider my
autistic son’s ‘real’ words to be those that meet the criteria of
being consistent, meaningful, appropriate, communicative, extended to
multiple exemplars, and relatively permanent, as conventional
symbolic adult words are.  In my son’s case, few if any of his 87
earlier productions before his word spurt meet these criteria,
especially in form.

The second useful idea is to regard his earlier productions as having
aspects of these criteria which are acquired at different times.
I’ll  try to devise a taxonomy to analyse the development of these
aspects over the word’s history, looking at the changes in his
acquisition of understanding, form and meaning as a continuum, which,
in the case of autistic children, may not always result in a
conventional word with appropriate usage.

I agree with Bruno Estigarribia who wrote that if he hadn’t been a
linguist he would have missed his son’s  first ‘word’ (I’m now
hopelessly self-conscious about what to call this).  In my case,
having a very language-delayed, actually language-averse, child, and
being a starter linguist myself made me hyper-aware of any
demonstration of receptive language and too eager to assign word
status to any intentional gesture and vocalization, though our early
communication with our son was dependent on our recognition and
validation of all his idiosyncratic productions.

Deborah Gibson

Ph.D student

Dept of Language and Literacy

Faculty of Education