first words

Jill Hohenstein jill.hohenstein at kcl.ac.uk
Tue Sep 19 12:43:27 UTC 2006

My understanding was that this idea about recognising certain first words in
certain languages, particularly recognising Œsuckling¹ or Œbreast¹ as first
word, came from the  Schieffelin and Ochs (1986) book. Are there others now?

Jill Hohenstein

On 19/9/06 12:52 pm, "Katie Alcock" <k.j.alcock at lancaster.ac.uk> wrote:

> I was under the impression that the (child) words for significant items
> (mother, father, other family members, suckling/breasts) appear to have been
> assigned in many languages based on the first word-like forms that parents
> believe children are producing.
>
> I have no idea where I got this impression from, but parents do seem very
> willing to assign word status to babble.
>
> Katie Alcock
>

> Katie Alcock, DPhil
> Lecturer
> Department of Psychology
> University of Lancaster
> Fylde College
> Lancaster LA1 4YF
> Tel 01524 593833
> Fax 01524 593744
> Web http://www.psych.lancs.ac.uk/people/KatieAlcock.html

Jill Hohenstein, Ph.D.
Lecturer, Psychology in Education
Department of Education and Professional Studies
Kings College London
Franklin-Wilkins Building (Waterloo Bridge Wing)
Waterloo Road
London SE1 9NH
Phone: 0207 848 3100
Fax: 0207 848 3182