searching info on gelason data

Jean Berko Gleason gleason at bu.edu
Fri Aug 10 06:33:20 UTC 2007

Dear Romaida Sihombing,

Those data were originally collected to get information about naturally
occurring conversations in families at dinner, and to compare mothers'
and fathers' interactions with boys and girls in several different
situations--playing 'store', reading a book, playing with a toy. We've
used the data over the years to examine gender differences, the use of
routines in language, the development of color terminology, diminutives,
various other lexical domains (e.g., animal terms, money words), baby
talk, talk about talk, fathers' speech, prohibitives, politeness, and so
on. I'll paste in a representative sample of publications that I hope
will be of some use.

cheers,

Jean Berko Gleason

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Masur, E. & Gleason, J. Berko. (1980). Parent‑child interaction and the
acquisition of lexical information during play/. Developmental
Psychology, 16, /404‑409.

Gleason, J. Berko. (1980). The acquisition of social speech and
politeness formulae. In H. Giles, and W. P. Robinson, P.M. Smith,
(Eds.), /Language: Social Psychological Perspectives/. Pergamon Press,
Oxford and New York, 21-27..

Greif, E. B. & Gleason, J. Berko. (1980). Hi, thanks, and goodbye: More
routine information. /Language in Society, 9, /159‑166.

Bellinger, D. & Gleason, J. Berko. (1982). Sex differences in parental
directives to young children. /Journal of Sex Roles, 8(11), /1123-1139.

/Reprinted/ in C. N. Jacklin (Ed.), (1992). /Gender. /London: Edward
Elgar Publishing Limited.

Gleason, J. Berko, & Greif, E. B. (1983). Men's speech to young
children. In B. Thorne, C. Kramerae, and N. Henley (Eds.), /Language,
Gender, and Society, /2nd edition. Rowley, MA: Newbury House, 140-150.

Gleason, J. Berko, Perlmann, R. Y., & Greif, E. B.. (1984). What's the
magic word: Learning language through routines. /Discourse Processes,
6(2), /493‑502.

Menn, L. & Gleason, J. Berko. (1986). Babytalk as a stereotype and
register: Adult reports of children's speech patterns. In J. A. Fishman
et al. (Eds.) /The Fergusonian Impact. Vol I. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter,
111‑125. /

Snow, C. E., Perlmann, R. Y. & Gleason, J. Berko. 1990. Developmental
perspectives on politeness: Sources of children's knowledge. /Journal of
Pragmatics, 14, /289-305.

Gleason, J. Berko, Perlmann, R. Y., Ely, D.,& Evans, D. (1994). The
babytalk register: Parents' use of diminutives. In J. L. Sokolov & C. E.
Snow (Eds.), /Handbook of Research in Language Development Using
CHILDES. /Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.

Tingley, E., Gleason, J. Berko., & Hooshyar, N. (1994) Mothers= lexicon
of internal state words in speech to children with Down syndrome and to
nonhandicapped children at mealtime. /Journal of Communication
Disorders, 27, /135-155.

Ely, R., Gleason, J. Berko, Narasimhan, B., & McCabe, A. (1995). Family
talk about talk: Mothers lead the way. /Discourse Processes , /19, 201‑218.

Ely, R., Gleason, J. Berko & McCabe, A. (1996) "Why didn't you talk to
your Mommy, Honey?": Parents' and children's talk about talk. /Research
on Language and Social Interaction.29, 1/, 7-25.

Gleason, J. Berko, Ely, R., Perlmann, R. Y., & Narasimhan, B. (1996).
Patterns of prohibition in parent-child discourse. In D. I. Slobin, J.
Gerhardt, A. Kyratzis, & J. Guo (Eds.), /Social interaction, social
context, and language: Essays in honor of Susan Ervin-Tripp. /Hillsdale,
NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates..

Leaper, C. & Gleason, J. Berko. (1996). The relationship of play
activity and gender to parent and child sex-typed communication.
/International Journal of Behavioral Development, 19/, 689-703.

Gleason, J. Berko & Ely, R. (1997). Input and the acquisition of
vocabulary: Examining the parental lexicon. In C. Mandell & A. McCabe
(Eds.), The Problem of Meaning: Behavioral and Cognitive Perspectives.
New York: Elsevier.

Ely, R. & Gleason, J. Berko. (1998). What Color is the Cat? Color Words
in Parent-Child Conversations. In A. Aksu-Ko, E. Erguvanli-Taylan, A.
Sumru Ozsoy, & A. Kuntay (Eds.) /Perspectives on Language Acquisition:
Selected Papers from the VIIth International Congress for the Study of
Child Language./ Istanbul: Bogazici University.

Ely, R., Gleason, J. Berko, * *MacGibbon, A., & * *Zaretsky, E. (2001).
Attention to Language: Lessons Learned at the Dinner Table. /Social
Development, 10, /3, 355-373.

Gleason, J. Berko & Ely, R. (2005). Gender differences in language
development: Interactional effects. In B. Bokus, (Ed.) /Studies in the
Psychology of Child Language (in Honor of Grace Wales Shugar) /Warsaw:
Matrix, 249-263.

Gleason, J. Berko, Ely, R., Phillips, B., & Zaretsky, E. (In press).
Alligators all around: The acquisition of animal terms in English and
Russian. In D. Guo & E. Lieven (Eds.) /Crosslinguistic Approaches to the
Psychology of Language: Research in the Tradition of Dan Isaac Slobin/.
Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.