an onomatopoeic toddler

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Wed Aug 29 13:47:56 UTC 2007

Dear Marie,
   All children do this to some degree.  What is remarkable is that some
chidlren only do a little bit of this and others much more.  It would be
very helpful if you could tabulate his complete vocabulary and compute the
percentage of words that are conventional from the total.  It would also be
helpful if you could track this over the next 10 months. If you had just
this basic information on a case of this type, you would perhaps have more
than I can think of in the current literature.  Possibly other info-childes
readers will know of something I have missed.
    There is, of course, the famous case of the lady in Iceland who invented
her own language and forced everyone to learn that.  If you couldn't speak
her language, you couldn't really interact with her at all.  I wonder what
experiences your son has when trying to communicate with people outside your
family who have not yet learned his language.

--Brian MacWhinney