Language of close friends

Carol Slater cslater at alma.edu
Mon Feb 5 18:10:29 UTC 2007

Dear Colleagues,
May I once again solicit your help? For a senior thesis, a student would like to investigate aspects of language used by close friends.

"I would like to investigate 'private' language utilized in friendships—within groups of close friends as well as in intimate non-romantic dyads (i.e. 'best friendships'). I am particularly interested in word usage, specifically, the development and social purpose of "code" words or phrases that have a significance among friends beyond their public meaning.
It is my impression that there has been little research on the subject of word usage in friendships.  Therefore, any information or suggestions on the matter would be greatly appreciated."

It would, indeed, be received with gratitude.

In hope,
Carol Slater
Alma College
Alma, MI 48801