Question about the number of languages one can learn

Barbara Zurer Pearson bpearson at research.umass.edu
Thu Feb 8 13:44:15 UTC 2007

Dear Info-Childes--

Can anyone point me to sources which say how many languages average
individuals *can* learn?  It is a question I am often asked and I can
only find apocrypha. Apparently, the U.S. Dept of State (?) has a
circular for diplomats on living abroad which puts the limit on
comfortable early learning at four languages, but I have been unable to
find it.

Can anyone help me find that document, or something similar?

Thank you, as ever,

Barbara Pearson
Barbara Zurer Pearson, Ph.D
Center for the Study of African American Language
(CSAAL) Research Associate, Coordinator
University of Massachusetts
Amherst MA 01003

Tel: 413.545.5023