Novel verb experiments

Jussi Niemi Jussi.Niemi at Joensuu.FI
Thu Feb 15 08:22:44 UTC 2007

If experimental data on potential pseudo-verbs
(cf. the classic wug tests à la Berko 1958) in a
language with a considerable number of verb
paradigms are needed, you might benefit from peeking into the following text:

Jussi Niemi: Paradigm Competition in Inflection:
An Experimental Note on Finnish Verbs. SKY
Journal of Linguistics 19 (2006), which can be
downloaded from http://www.ling.helsinki.fi/sky/julkaisut/sky2006special.shtml

In this study the verbs were embedded in
controlled carrier sentences, and a restricted
set of "paradigmatically critical" forms -- if correct -- were to be elicited.

Jussi Niemi

At 18:52 14.2.2007, kkennedy at clarku.edu wrote:
>Dear all,
>
>We are currently working on a senior capstone project at Clark University
>trying to replicate with an adult population some of the work Nancy Budwig
>and several of the graduate students (Enila Cenko, Juan Hu, Kaya Ono,
>Smita Srivastava) have been doing with novel verb experiments with
>preschoolers speaking a variety of languages. The question we have been
>curious about is how adults do in similar tasks, in particular whether
>they produce novel verbs modeled in one construction in constructions they
>have not heard the verbs used in, and whether this differs when training
>takes place in transitive versus intransitive constructions. Our own
>search for novel verb experiments with adult populations has not turned up
>much; we would be grateful for recommendations of studies that address
>this topic.
>
>Many thanks for your help.
>
>Kevin Kennedy & Jason Edgarton
>Undergraduate students, Clark U. '07
>
>Kkennedy at clarku.edu
>Jaedgarton at clarku.edu

Jussi Niemi, PhD
Professor, Linguistics, University of Joensuu,
POB 111 (Yliopistokatu 4), FIN-80101 Joensuu, Finland
Phones: +358-13-251 4306 (office), +358-13-251
3198 (Linguistics Lab), +358-50-3034337 (mobile), +358-13-228723 (home)
Fax:    +358-13-251 4211
jussi.niemi at joensuu.fi, http://cc.joensuu.fi/linguistics

Nordic Association of Linguists (NAL)
http://cc.joensuu.fi/linguistics/nal.html

Joint European Masters Programme in Clinical Linguistics (EMCL)
http://www.emcl-mundus.com/html