updating English %mor

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Mon Jan 8 02:58:12 UTC 2007

Dear Info-CHILDES,

    I have just now finished updating the %mor lines for the various
English corpora in CHILDES.  The original %mor lines were created
about 15 months ago and there have been improvements in MOR coding,
tagging, the lexicon, and POST in the meantime.  These new codes will
be used for an upcoming parser competition sponsored by the
Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL), so that was an
additional motivation for completing this updating.  In addition, I
have updated the English MOR grammar on the server.
    In the current version, all errors are marked directly on the
main line, using replacements and the [*] notation, as in this example

broked [: broke] [* +ed-sup]

Also, the distinction between interjections (that often appear alone)
and communicators (that often attach to utterances) is made a bit
clearer.  More generally, derivational structure is analysed further
in the new version, particularly for diminutives and items that
change parts of speech through derivation.  By the way, is there a
word for this?

-- Brian MacWhinney