devices for recording children

Kristina de Korsak kdekorsak at ucdavis.edu
Mon Jan 15 19:00:19 UTC 2007

Dear all,
Sorry for the delay in posting this summary, it has taken quite a
while to sort out which route I was going to take. I have posted the
summary below and a list/description of what I ended up doing. Thanks
again to everyone who sent their comments/suggestions!
Best wishes,
Kristina de Korsak

My (Kristina's) solution:
A new computer (iMac) with imovie
Canon digital video recorder (which I had already)
A good quality omnidirectional microphone
A M-audio Firewire 410 mixer
Various Firewire cables

All of the audio (mic) is captured on high quality resolution and
feeds into the camera which then feeds into the computer. The mixer
is also connected to the computer. This way I have wonderful sound,
great picture resolution, and do not have to synchronize afterwards,
all within my budget.

SUMMARY:
My own setup is to record video separate from audio and later
synchronize both. Using video equipment for capturing audio is (IMHO)
a bad idea if you are after quality. For audio I use a Marantz
PMD-660 Solid State Recorder (http://www.d-mpro.com/users/folder.asp?
FolderID=3629&CatID=19&SubCatID=188)
Solid State recorders are in my view the best type of recorder for
the field because they have no moving parts that can break, record
onto a compact flash card that then you can download to your Mac/PC
through a USB connection. It can record up to 16bit/48kHz
uncompressed PCM (a 1GB CF card will allow you to record 2h 58minutes
at this maximum quality - in my experience, each 30 minutes of
recording take up around 200 MB). It can also record compressed, and
lower quality. If you're recording three siblings, however, you may
want something that allows you to separate all channels (absolute
must for phonetic analysis, I'd say). With the PMD-660 you only have
two.
And if you want lapel (lavalier) mics to allow your kids to run, you
will have to have a wireless setup, and with three mics I believe you
increase your chances of interference greatly. Also, don't
underestimate clipping (signal distortion from high-volume input) and
other input problems. You will have to monitor input volumes to the
mics concurrently for three kids. That IS a daunting task. Again,
with the Marantz you can only do two. My question would be: are you
sure you cannot get by with one good omnidirectional mic? You won't
be able to separate the channels but it will be:
- much less costly
- much easier to set up (never underestimate the amount of time
you'll waste for every recording session setting up and packing up)
- much easier to monitor while you're taping.
The whole set up could cost (in the US, I don't know where you are):
-400-500 U$S for a video camera
-100-150 U$S for a good omnidirectional mic
- 400-500 U$S for the Marantz PMD-660
- 80-100U$S for a 1GB, high-speed Compact Flash Card.
- plus 2-3U$S per 60-minute mini DV tape for the camera, or
equivalent in CD-Rs (never use RWs for sensitive data).
If you want lavalier mics, add at the very least 300 U$S (but I'd say
that is probably optimistic).

Consider restricting the kids to play in a single room, otherwise,
being in separate spaces seems to be what creates extra complexity
for the recording.  It may not be worth it.

The details of the obsolete equipment I used are different but the
principle was to get crisp recordings of each, given that there would
be other noise and conversational overlap. Each child wore a cordless
lavalier microphone clipped on to a vest in the back pocket of which
was a wireless transmitter. Their output was recorded to a cassette
tape on a separate tape recorder. They were also videotaped in VHS
format. The three children's audio outputs were mixed together onto
the video sound track at the time of recording by a sound engineer.
The sound was marvelous as a result.  I assume it's  not feasible for
you to have an audio engineer. But you may be able to videotape them
digitally with good enough results. Or inquire about the feasibility
of recording a back up digital audio file for each and synchronizing
with video, post recording.

I don't recommend just doing an audio recording.
I eventually digitized my VHS tapes and only work with the data in
digital format.

The best advice I got at the time I designed my study was from an
audio engineer hidden away
in a unit at my university, who worked in a service capacity with
other units involved in sound recordings.

Before beginning, try out every single aspect from recording to sound
mixing. Know your equipment and the software you'll need later before
you begin.
	One thing you'll like is software that lets you create a word
document for transcription and on the same screen import the video
with full audio.  I think that's Final Cut Pro.  I'll send you the
url for a paper that can show you some of the neat things you can do
with good software. You may be able to find it yourself. It's at the
UTexas-Austin gesture conference proceedings website. It may be
through Jurgen Streeck's website in the School of Communication:
authors are Belbas & Sheldon.