TCP 2008: Call for Papers

Hitomi Murata hitomi-murata at mri.biglobe.ne.jp
Wed Jul 18 05:35:00 UTC 2007

Dear Colleague,

The Institute of Cultural and Linguistic Studies at Keio University will
be holding the ninth Tokyo Conference on Psycholinguistics(TCP2008)
on March 14 and 15, 2008.

The invited speakers are Dr. Cedric Boeckx (Harvard University) and
Dr. Koji Sugisaki (Mie University)
We encourage you to submit papers for oral presentation and poster
presentation.
For details, visit our web site:
http://www.otsu.icl.keio.ac.jp/tcp/

<Call for Papers>

The Ninth Tokyo Conference on Psycholinguistics
http://www.otsu.icl.keio.ac.jp
Keio University, Mita, Tokyo
March 14 & 15, 2008

THE TOKYO CONFERENCE ON PSYCHOLINGUISTICS welcomes
papers that represent any scientific endeavor that addresses itself
to “Plato’s Problem” concerning language acquisition: “How we can
gain a rich linguistic system given our fragmentary and impoverished
experience?”  Its scope thus includes linguistic theory (phonology,
morphology, syntax and semantics), L1 and L2 acquisition, language
processing, and the neuroscience of language, among other topics.

We believe that there are some types of studies which are suitable
for oral presentations, and others, which are suitable for poster
presentations.  We would like to accept both types of studies at
the Conference.  The time for an oral presentation will be 20 minutes
with a 10 minute discussion period (a total of 30 minutes).  There is the
possibility that some papers of outstanding quality will be given longer
time slots (i.e., a 30 minute presentation with a 15 minute discussion
period).  Note that, unlike previous conferences, the TCP committee
will decide which papers will be allotted to longer slots. Furthermore,
the space allotted to a poster presentation will be
90 cm (width) x 180 cm (length).

You may submit only one single paper for either an oral or poster
presentation and only one joint (co-authored) paper for either an
oral or poster presentation.  This means that the maximum number
of submissions per author is two. (Please note that the same abstract
cannot be submitted for both an oral presentation and a poster
presentation).  No exceptions will be made.

The guidelines for the abstract submission are as follows:

1. Only e-mail submissions will be accepted.
2. The abstract must be received by November 30, 2007 by
11:59 pm JST (Japan Standard Time) via e-mail to:
tcpabst2008 at otsu.icl.keio.ac.jp.
Late submissions will not be accepted.  Notification of receipt
will be e-mailed to the first author shortly after receipt.
3. The subject of the e-mail should be “abstract”.
4. The body of the e-mail should include:
a. the author information (name, affiliation, mailing address, e-mail
address, and telephone number; If your paper has multiple authors,
provide information regarding all of the co-authors.  And, if you are
in Japan, add kanji where relevant.),
b. the type of presentation (Oral or Poster),
c. the title of paper,
d. the language(s) which you are focusing on in your paper,
e. the field(s) which your abstract involves (e.g, Morphology,
Phonetics, Phonology, Semantics, Syntax, Pragmatics, L1 acquisition,
L2 acquisition, Language Processing, Neuroscience of Language,
and so on), and
f. 3 keywords/phrases that best describe your paper.
5. A PDF file of your abstract in English should be attached to
the e-mail.  Document files (e.g., MS Word format) cannot be
accepted. (If you have any problems in applying by e-mail with
a PDF file attachment, do not hesitate to contact us.).
6. Format the files of your abstracts (including bibliography) to
A4 paper size, single-spaced, limiting the length to a maximum
of 2 pages.  Since the abstract, if accepted, will be photocopied
to be included in the conference handbook, make sure your margins
have ample room. This abstract will also be placed on the TCP website.
7. The font size should be 12 point.  For any fonts used, a font file
should be attached.
8. Indicate the type of presentation by putting “Oral” or “Poster” on
the left side of the top of the first page.
9. Put the title in the center of the top of the first page.
10. Do not put your name on your abstract (The abstract reviews
will be anonymous.).
11. Clearly state the nature of the problem that you are addressing.
12. Cite sufficient data, and explain why and how they support
your argument.
13. Avoid vague promissory notes such as "A solution will be presented".
14. You cannot revise your abstract once it has been submitted.

Abstracts for oral presentations and poster presentations will be
reviewed separately.  We will notify you of the results of our review
process via e-mail by January 12, 2008 at the latest.  Those who
are accepted as speakers will be requested to reply within several
days if they are willing to present their papers at TCP 2008.  Please
let us know if you plan to be away from e-mail in early January.

In addition, we are planning to publish a volume of the conference
proceedings.  If your abstract is accepted, we will inform you of the
details regarding this matter later.  Most likely, you will be asked
to e-mail us your paper as a MS Word and a PDF file attachment
by mid-May 2008.

Unfortunately, TCP has no funds for financial assistance.  Participants
are expected to make their own travel arrangements.

For further information, contact:
Yukio Otsu (Director)
Institute of Cultural and Linguistic Studies
Keio University
2-15-45 Mita, Minato-ku, Tokyo
108-8345 Japan
tcp2008 at otsu.icl.keio.ac.jp