stuttering

Elena Lieven lieven at eva.mpg.de
Tue Jun 12 13:51:40 UTC 2007

I also think that, as Nan says, this is a very typical age of onset and
may be a temporary phenomenon related to children's move from a
relatively greater emphasis on semi-formulaic and easily produced
utterances to a more abstract and complex grammatical system.  My
impression is that there is more disfluency in our 3-year-old data than
in our 2-year-olds though it's not straightforward to separate
increasing syntactic complexity from increasing utterance length - if
indeed it makes sense to make this a clear distinction.

elena lieven