stuttering

Carolyn Chaney cchaney at sfsu.edu
Tue Jun 12 16:38:21 UTC 2007

Hi Cecile,

I have had some experience with stuttering in young children,
including my own son, who began to have secondary symptoms of
stuttering (such as eye-blinks) almost immediately.  I have found
that the old notions that this should be ignored and it will go away
can be very harmful, because even a two-year-old realizes that
something is going very wrong.  Ignoring the problem is ignoring the
feelings and fears that the young child may have about the
frustrating events that accompany speaking.  I once treated two
preschool children, one whose Dad was certain that chiropractic
solutions would be best, and the other whose Mom was happy to talk
openly with her son about his feelings about all kinds of things.
Guess which boy recovered?

First, I recommend that parents acknowledge to the child that talking
is hard right now.  Reassurance is also important.  I told my two-
year-old that he was learning so many new words that sometimes they
wanted to come all at once.  I told him that I was sure that he was
going to be just fine, that this was just a normal stage in his
development and that we had plenty of time to talk and listen, no
need to rush.  (Stuttering often worsens in times of excitement,
stress, etc).  I also nipped those secondary symptoms in the bud by
telling him that blinking his eyes or tapping his face would not help
and that we just needed to try to talk calmly.  Extra patience and
open communication were the charms that worked for my son Brian (now
age 25 and a verbal charmer).

Second, a consultation with a good speech/language pathologist who
has experience with childhood stuttering would be a fine idea.  Some
children do recover spontaneously (as did my son), and others go on
to stutter.  A good therapist can be a great help.

Regards,

Carolyn Chaney

On Jun 12, 2007, at 1:57 AM, Cecile De Cat wrote:

> Hello
>
> A little 2;9 year-old I know has suddenly started stuttering, for no
> apparent reason.  His language development had until then been
> 'normal'
> and had very good elocution until last month.  His stuttering is now
> quite pervasive.
>
> I would be most grateful for any information regarding the following
> questions (references to publications would be most welcome too):
>
> - Has there been any study showing that stuttering could have an
> impact
> on language development?
> - What is known about the cause of stuttering?
> - Could any of you advice on what to do to help him out of it?  Is
> speech therapy usually sufficient?
>
> Many thanks in advance
>
> With best wishes,
>
> Cecile De Cat

> Dr. Cecile De Cat   http://www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~lnpcd/
>
> Dpt of Linguistics & Phonetics   http://www.leeds.ac.uk/linguistics/
> School of Modern Languages and Cultures
> University of Leeds - LS2 9JT - UK
> Tel: 0113 34 33 555     Fax: 0113 34 33 566

Carolyn Chaney
cchaney at sfsu.edu