Lectureship at the University of Plymouth

Kirsten Abbot-Smith kirsten.abbot-smith at plymouth.ac.uk
Tue May 15 09:38:44 UTC 2007

I tried to CC this message to infochildes yesterday. It appears not to
have gone through, but my apologies if you have already received it.

There will soon be an opening for a permanent Lectureship in the School
of Psychology at the University of Plymouth, UK. Researchers from any
area of Psychology are welcome to apply but obviously certain members of
the Language and Cognitive Development group (including myself) have a
vested interest in attracting a researcher in language development.

We have recently refurbished the child development lab and have set up a
volunteer database of parents of children aged 0-6 years (see
http://www.plymouthbabylab.org/). This 'babylab' includes head turn
preference, infant ERP and ePrime facilities and we hope to set up a
preferential-looking lab soon. We have good technical support from five
technicians, who are experienced in working with audio-visual editing
and programming psycholinguistic experiments. The department has also
recently been given a large amount of money to renovate and refurbish
all the labs. This should take place over the next year.

The School of Psychology was rated as 5 in the last research evaluation
(RAE 2001), putting us amongst the best in the UK. It is a very
international department; at least half the academic staff are
originally from outside the UK (e.g. USA, Canada, Germany, France,
Israel, Spain, Belgium, Ireland, New Zealand etc.) and international
applicants are encouraged to apply.

We plan to advertise on the web (www.jobs.ac.uk <http://www.jobs.ac.uk/>
), with a closing date of 25th June, and an interview date of July 16th
/ 17th. However, the person would have to be contracted to us on 31st
October, so I would encourage those interested to mail me a CV
(including publications, presentations and grants), which I can bring to
the attention of the Head of Department.

Kirsten

		Dr Kirsten Abbot-Smith
		School of Psychology
		University of Plymouth