Overheard L2 exposure - references sought

bobaljik jonathan.bobaljik at uconn.edu
Fri Nov 30 20:07:17 UTC 2007

Dear Listmembers,

I am looking for studies regarding the effects of overheard /
incidental L2 exposure on early L1 (age < 3 yrs).  More specifically,
I'm aware of some work by T. Au and colleagues suggesting benefits for
later L2 acquisition/learning (Psych. Sci; Cognition), but what I'm
looking for is studies that will be relevant in an upcoming
discussion, where at least one group does not have bilingualism (at
any level) as a goal for their children. At issue in the discussion
will be whether allowing care-givers to speak e.g., Spanish amongst
themselves (in the presence of the children, but not to the children)
in an English-speaking day care environment will have any detrimental
effects on the L1 (English) development of the children.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Jonathan Bobaljik
U Conn.