Literature on Baby Signing

Mechthild Kiegelmann mechthild.kiegelmann at uni-tuebingen.de
Sat Oct 6 07:56:19 UTC 2007

Dear Colleagues,

there is growing popularity in the use of some  Signs from a local sign
language in hearing families with hearing babies. I am working on
evaluating this so called "baby signing" from a developmental psychology
perspective. If any of you could help me find relevant literature, I
would appreciate this very much. I would be interested in text in
English or other languages. Of course, I will post a collection of the
references here.

So far, for main references about baby signing I found these:

Goodwyn , S. , Acredolo, L., & Brown, C. (2000). Impact of symbolic
gesturing on early language development. /Journal of Nonverbal Behavior,
24, 81-103 /

Johnston, J.C., Durieux-Smith, A. & Bloom, K. (2005). Teaching gestural
signs to infants to advance child development: A review of the evidence.
First Language, vol. 25(2), 235-251.

Thompson, R. , McKerchar, P., & Dancho, K. (2004). The effects of
delayed physical prompts and reinforcement on infant sign language
acquisition. /Journal of applied behavior analysis/. 37, 379-383.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Mechthild Kiegelmann

PD Mechthild Kiegelmann, Ed.D.
University of Tübingen
Educational and Developmental Psychology
School of Education
Münzgasse 22-30
D-72074 Tübingen
Germany