Competence vs. Performance: Obsolete?

Evan J Kidd Evan.J.Kidd at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Oct 11 11:18:21 UTC 2007

Generator Microsoft Word 11 (filtered) Hi Matthew,

You might check out:

Seidenberg, M. S., & MacDonald, M. C. (1999). A probabilistic constraints approach to language acquisition and processing. Cognitive Science, 23, 569 -  588.
The paper explicitly addresses the issue from a connectionist perspective. This is an interesting topic - could you post a summary?

Best,
Evan
_________________________________ Dr Evan Kidd Lecturer in Psychology School of Psychological Sciences University of Manchester Oxford Road M13 9PL Manchester, UK Ph: +44 (0) 161 275 2578 Fax: +44 (0) 161 275 8587 http://www.psych-sci.manchester.ac.uk/staff/108727 __________________________________
From: info-childes at mail.talkbank.org [mailto:info-childes at mail.talkbank.org] On Behalf Of Matthew Saxton Sent: 11 October 2007 12:07 To: info-childes at mail.talkbank.org Subject: Competence vs. Performance: Obsolete?

Dear All,

Competence vs. Performance: A False Distinction?

I' m convinced that, at some point recently, a very interesting article on this issue flashed before my eyes, before disappearing forever, possibly into my ' filing'  cabinet.

There is, of course, a huge literature in which competence vs. performance is considered and, very often, taken for granted. I notice also that the pairing of these concepts is common currency in many other fields beyond psycholinguistics (e.g., cognitive therapy, animal ecology, engineering, medicine, and so on). Of course, the way the two terms are used probably differs from one field to another, but undoubtedly, competence is often pitted against performance in an uncontroversial manner.

I am therefore very interested to find any discussion which challenges the competence-performance distinction. If anyone can help, I promise to sort out my filing cabinet.....

Regards,

Matthew Saxton.

Matthew Saxton MA, MSc, DPhil
School of Psychology and Human Development,
Institute of Education,
25 Woburn Square,
London,
WC1H 0AA.