Chomsky: Obsolete?

Jeff MacSwan macswan at asu.edu
Thu Oct 11 16:23:08 UTC 2007

It's not a surprise that those who are committed to frameworks which
disavow generativist work would gleefully await the day when the most
influential figure, who also created the field, is no longer "relevant."

But Chomsky's work actually continues to grow in significance and
influence, precisely due to its relevance not only to linguistics
generally, but also to the social sciences, the cognitive sciences,
computer science and mathematics, and philosophy.

While one can do interesting and important linguistic research that does
not heavily rely on Chomsky's own specific contributions to linguistic
theory, the idea that his work has generally lost relevance or
significance reflects a lack of acquaintance with the current
linguistics literature.

Jeff MacSwan