IPSyn question

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Fri Oct 12 21:19:55 UTC 2007

Fay,
     I haven't done much PSyn coding myself, but I was closely
involved with Kenji Sagae's computerized
formulation of IPSyn.  In the process of building his automatic
IPSyn, Kenji received coded IPSyn's from three people who we
took as the "gold standard."  I would not want to divulge in public
which of the three coders ended up with the
score closest to that of the program, but perhaps I can say that, in
the end, the program and the humans were
all getting close to 95% accuracy.  Now, the nice thing about the
program is that Kenji could actually check his
code to see how it is programmed for this.  This is not to say that
the program is "right" but at least one can
look at the code and see what it does all the time.  Once these fine
details of IPSyn coding get resolved in the community,
they can then be locked in to the program.

--Brian MacWhinney