Who's doing developmental pragmatics?

P.Hendriks P.Hendriks at rug.nl
Sat Oct 13 08:01:05 UTC 2007

Dear Gerlind and info-childes,

I would also be interested in a mailing list on developmental
pragmatics. At the University of Groningen, we recently initiated a
project on developmental semantics and pragmatics, studying
asymmetries between children's production and their comprehension of
several aspects of semantics/pragmatics. We also intend to look at
children and adolescents with Autistic Spectrum Disorders. More
information about our project is available on our project website
(http://www.let.rug.nl/~hendriks/vici.htm).

Also, adding to the discussion on Chomsky and generative grammar, I
agree with William Gregory Sakas that we should distinguish between
Chomsky's 'big picture' of linguistics as a natural science and
Chomsky's particular ideas about syntax. Currently, several
alternatives are being developed to Chomsky's particular view on
syntax which still adhere to Chomsky's big picture, for example
Optimality-Theoretic models of language acquisition. These models
depart from Chomsky's particular view of autonomous syntax (by also
taking into account meaning and context), while still being formal and
generative and yielding testable predictions with respect to language
acquisition.

Best wishes,
--Petra Hendriks