Competence vs. Performance: Summary

Lise Menn Lise.Menn at Colorado.EDU
Tue Oct 16 17:45:20 UTC 2007

Picking up on one of Matthew's themes: The study of speech errors -
much advanced since Fromkin, by the way - is still one of our best
windows into the production process.  There are a lot of interesting
papers collected in  The State of the Art in Speech Error Research:
Proceedings of the LSA Institute Workshop, ed. C. T. Schütze & V. S.
Ferreira.  MIT Working Papers in Linguistics 53 (2007). The more I
look at the process, the  more it looks like a battle of aroused
words and constructions trying to get 'out' and depending on good
internal loops and inhibition mechanisms (traffic control) to keep
from jamming up like the entrance to the Sumner Tunnel at rush hour.
	Lise

On Oct 16, 2007, at 4:46 AM, Matthew Saxton wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> It’s been an interesting week on InfoCHILDES. My question about
> competence-performance produced a typically fascinating response
> (see below). More fascinating, perhaps, was the way my innocent
> query got diverted into two separate strands of discussion: one on
> the Legacy of Chomsky and one on the need for a pragmatics
> discussion forum. Matters snowballed, and, in the case of
> pragmatics, resulted in a potentially useful new resource for
> researchers in that area. All of which makes the following summary
> seem a little tame, but here goes (references listed below):
>

> As I dimly knew, the competence-performance distinction is by no
> means universally accepted and is explicitly rejected in some
> quarters. The unwarranted limitations it imposes are widely
> acknowledged, even within the nativist camp (see, for example, Tom
> Roeper’s comments to InfoCHILDES on October 15th 2007).
>

> As usual, we find signs of Wheel Reinvention, starting with the
> well known fact that competence-performance was inspired by
> Saussure’s (1916/1974) notions of langue and parole. Of course,
> there are differences: langue comprises a finite set of words and
> phrases, while parole is reserved for sentence formation (see
> Chomsky, 1972, pp19-20 for his take on Saussure). In a similar
> vein, Jessica Horst reminds us that, in the field of cognitive
> development, it has long been acknowledged that performance is
> highly context dependent, a phenomenon characterized by Piaget
> (1929) as horizontaldécalage (see also recent work by Samuelson &
> Horst, in press).
>

> Dissatisfaction with the competence-performance split is by no
> means new, as indicated by Kaufer (1979), Valian (1979) and Black &
> Chiat (1981). More recent signs of discomfort with competence-
> performance can be witnessed in Seidenberg & MacDonald (1999) and
> the comments offered by Joseph Stemberger (InfoCHILDES, October
> 14th 2007). According to one correspondent, at least one reviewer
> has argued that this topic is out-of-date, but just to prove that
> it does, in fact, still attract serious attention, we have the
> following: Samuelson, Horst, Dobbertin, & Schutte, (2006);
> Ambridge, Rowland & Pine (in press); Samuelson & Horst (in press);
> and Hoff (under review).
>

> So what exactly is wrong with the competence-performance
> distinction? Well, I hope you’ll forgive me for not being on top of
> this literature yet, but some of the headline points seem to be:
>

> ·      “In everyday usage, the notions of knowing and using a
> language seem inextricably bound” (Kaufer, 1979, p.257). To
> illustrate, Kaufer points out that one must strain hard to find
> cases of people using a language they do not know (reciting Latin
> prayers, perhaps) or, on the other hand, knowing a language they
> cannot use (e.g., some forms of aphasia). A similar point is also
> attributed by Stemberger to Fromkin: “assuming that performance is
> [...]

Lise Menn                      Home Office: 303-444-4274
1625 Mariposa Ave	Fax: 303-413-0017
Boulder CO 80302

Professor Emerita of Linguistics
Fellow, Institute of Cognitive Science
University of  Colorado

Secretary, AAAS Section Z [Linguistics]

Campus Mail Address:
UCB 594, Institute for Cognitive Science

Campus Physical Address:
CINC 234
1777 Exposition Ave, Boulder