Competence vs. Performance: Summary

Virginia Valian virginia.valian at hunter.cuny.edu
Wed Oct 17 14:27:20 UTC 2007

Dear All,

A slight emendation to Matthew's post, in which he said "No-one has stepped forward to defend the competence-performance distinction, or even to offer supportive references."  My 1979 paper is a defense and I stand by it.  The paper is called "The wherefores and therefores of the competence-performance distinction."

Here's the link again:  http://maxweber.hunter.cuny.edu/psych/faculty/valian/docs/1979wherefores.pdf

Perhaps a symposium on this topic would be good at an upcoming conference.

Best,

Virginia Valian
Distinguished Professor, Psychology and Linguistics
Hunter College and CUNY Graduate Center
695 Park Ave, New York, NY, 10065, USA
tel:  212/ 772-5463, 212/ 772-5557; fax:  212/ 650-3247
email:  virginia.valian at hunter.cuny.edu
http://maxweber.hunter.cuny.edu/psych/faculty/valian/valian.htm
http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/littlelinguist