Competence vs. Performance: Summary

Gary Marcus gary.marcus at nyu.edu
Wed Oct 17 21:06:19 UTC 2007

I couldn't disagree more strenuously with this last posting. To
ascribe both "spinned" and "spun" to competence is to miss the point
of the distinction, not to undermine it. "Spinned" and "spun" simply
aren't on a par; people accept the latter as correct and ascribe the
former to a mistake.

It makes perfect sense to collect data on both (I did just that in
1992 SRCD Monograph on overregularizations, and I have cited
Stemberger's data in this connection), but no sense whatsoever to
treat the two as if they are on equal footing. And I say this not as
a matter of prescriptive linguistics (what the rules of language
"ought to be", according to some self-appointed grammarian) but as a
matter of descriptive psycholinguistics, as a characterization of
what speakers themselves believe.

When I inadvertently forget to carry a 1 and report that the sum of
87 and 24 is 101, we need to able to distinguish my transient error
from my general understanding of what would constitute a correct sum
(viz. 111).  A competence-performance distinction gives us a
theoretical tool with which to make that distinction; to say that 101
and 111 are equally good answers ("since I have the 'competence' to
utter either number") would be nothing more than sophistry.

The competence-performance distinction does, as others have noted,
have any number of difficulties, but most are methodological ("how
can I tell which is which", a fact that will only reveal itself once
we have properly carved nature at it joints), not theoretical.

In psychology, and in linguistics, we are continually left with the
daunting challenge of inferring underlying representations from
surface behavior; there is no way we can conceivably succeed at that
task without a firm understanding of the fact that the mapping
between the two is often indirect: behavior is dictated not only by
underlying representations but by a host of other factors.  Inasmuch
as the competence-performance distinction encapsulates that
fundamental truth, it is a valuable tool that we cannot afford to
dismiss.

-- Gary Marcus
Professor of Psychology
New York University

On Oct 17, 2007, at 1:26 PM, Anat Ninio wrote:

> [...]
>>> <mailto:M.Saxton at ioe.ac.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>>     “No-one has stepped forward to defend the competence-performance
>>>     distinction, or even to offer supportive references.”
>>>
>>> OK— try this—with references too!
>>>
>>> The basic idea is so widespread in science that it hardly needs
>>> defense— frictionless bodies, stimulus generalization, latent
>>> learning, stereotype bias.... and linguistic competence all are
>>> more or less scientific concepts designed to variously explain
>>> conditional performance.
>>>
>>> Does anyone really doubt that the language one observes is but a
>>> subset of the language one might observe under such and such
>>> conditions? And that much of that observed language is
>>> fragmentary and ill-formed? While every case demands its own
>>> explanatory story, to toss out the whole idea of competence or
>>> similar concepts sounds like a lame return to behaviorism.
>>>
>>> Years ago I spent a lot of time on the development of complex
>>> sentences (Limber, 1973). There was one gap in the thousands of
>>> two to three year old children’s utterances I observed -- a lack
>>> of relative clauses attached to subject NPs.
>>>
>>> Did this mean these kids didn’t have the potential for those
>>> structures in their behavioral repertoire—their linguistic
>>> competence? Here’s the abstract of my answer (Limber, 1976)—which
>>> curiously in connection with this current discussion, involves
>>> pragmatics.
>>>
>>> “Inferences about linguistic competence in children are typically
>>> based on spontaneous speech.
>>> This poses a problem since we know that other factors are also
>>> involved in speech production.
>>> Children who may use complex object and adverbial NPs do not use
>>> complex subject NPs. Is
>>> this a competence deficit, a performance problem, or simply a
>>> reflection of pragmatic factors?
>>> Evidence presented here suggests that children probably do not
>>> need complex subjects. An
>>> extensive use of pronouns in subject but not object position
>>> indicates that pragmatics may
>>> account for the distribution of clauses in their speech. A
>>> similar pattern in adult speech indicates there is no warrant to
>>> conclude children's lack of subject clauses reflects anything
>>> more than the nature of spontaneous speech.”
>>>

>>> In fact, in all my data of several thousand utterances of
>>> children and adults, only TWO subject NPs showed up—one shaky
>>> example from a three-year old and another from an adult. The
>>> probability that a child is exposed to a subject NP is, from my
>>> data, less than 1/1000. Here are the two:
>>>
>>> Adult: “ Well these buses that I've had today have been really
>>> weird.”
>>>
>>> Child: “I think that the girl ... that's here ... doesn't ... she
>>> doesn't want me to open it. “
>>>
>>> I wonder how the Nuevo-Statistical approaches to language
>>> acquisition would handle this?
>>>

>>> Limber, J. (1973). The genesis of complex sentences. In T. Moore
>>> (Ed.), Cognitive Development and the Acquisition of Language (pp.
>>> 169-186). New York: Academic Press.
>>> http://pubpages.unh.edu/~jel/JLimber/
>>> Genesis_complex_sentences.pdf <http://pubpages.unh.edu/%7Ejel/