Baby signs boost IQ by 12 points

Kathy Hirsh-Pasek khirshpa at temple.edu
Thu Oct 18 12:27:22 UTC 2007

Brian,

I could not agree more and it is among many untested claims in the
literature.  In 2005, the Kaiser Foundation did a report about the
claims made by many products that are simply unfounded in the
literature.  These claims have, however, fueled a 20 billion dollar
educational toy industry so we must all be mindful of how we are
represented outside the halls of academe. I was for example horrified
by claims from  toys suggesting that even  6 mo olds could learn 5
languages by pushing a series of buttons.

On baby sign in particular, I have seen a number of tapes in which
parents use baby sign with children and I am always heartened by the
fact that they not only use sign, but also concurrently speak more to
their children.  Thus, the results of baby sign that are reported are
not for sign alone.  Further, parents who are more likely to buy the
products and to use baby sign are most likely those who also want to
communicate more with children.  To the extent that more language
input and language content boosts later IQ scores (not necessarily IQ
but the scores), we have a potential mediator.  I do not know of any
definitive published evidence on the IQ difference though I know
Linda Acredolo has a number of papers on the effects.  Even in those
papers, I wonder about selection bias and the fact that sign is
accompanied by oral language.

A final note, is that I actually like the baby sign approach used by
Acredolo and Goodwyn and I think the product is a good one. Other
baby sign approaches claim to teach "sign language" and that could
not be farther from the truth (unless of course knowing a few signs
from ASL is the same as learning the language). More work needs to be
done in this area given that it has captured the imagination of
parents and teachers.

kathy