Competence vs. Performance: Summary

Bruno Estigarribia aananda at stanford.edu
Thu Oct 18 15:23:12 UTC 2007

Hello all,

Of necessity a short contribution: I am abroad (still have to read
tom´s reference on Superiority to have an opinion on that too... does
the day have 25 hours anywhere on the globe?)

> As usual, we find signs of Wheel Reinvention, starting with the well
> known >fact that competence-performance was inspired by Saussure's
> (1916/1974) >notions of langue and parole.

Misinspired if anything, and still often misquoted. For Saussure,
LANGUE is a social phenomenon that does not reside in the individual
but as a set/network of conventions. He explicitly said (or his
students, rather) that no individual possesses LANGUE. So it CANNOT be
competence, which fully resides, in Chomskyan linguistics, in the
brain of the individual. Competence, in my view, has little to do with
langue. The only thing that Chomsky maintained from Saussure was that
some dichotomy might be useful...
Bruno