transcript validation

Matthew Saxton M.Saxton at ioe.ac.uk
Tue Sep 4 05:43:11 UTC 2007

Dear Elizabeth,

Inter-rater reliability is vital, of course. But intra-rater reliability
comes first. I wonder how consistent your transcribers are being from
one transcript to the next? A simple way to check for this is to have
your researchers transcribe the same recording on two occasions - with a
decent interval between to dilute the effects of memory.

If there is still a problem, perhaps your transcribers could be given
some form of ear-training to enhance their ability to analyse speech in
purely phonological terms - in effect, reducing the (lexical) bias
introduced by hearing what you expect to hear. Even if you don't require
a high degree of phonological detail, this kind of focus might be
helpful in overriding the dialect effects you talk about.

Regards,

Matthew.

Matthew Saxton MA, MSc, DPhil

School of Psychology and Human Development,

Institute of Education,

25 Woburn Square,

London,

WC1H 0AA.