an onomatopoeic toddler

Alvino Fantini Alvino.Fantini at worldlearning.org
Wed Sep 5 17:42:42 UTC 2007

Dear Marie: You may be interested in comparing your son's development in
this respect with that reported in my own work (see p. 99) in: Language
Acquisition of a Bilingual Child, Multilingual Matters, 1985, still
available from the SIT Bookstore (contact: carl.mcinerney at sit.edu). To quote
one section:

"Mario favoured onomatopoeic sounds, whether playing with others or alone.
The diary contains numerous examples of sounds made during play, some of
which were so amazingly faithful that they were impossible to transcribe. He
imitated animals, tractors, aeroplanes, rockets, car brakes, monsters,
motors, explosions, sirens, hammers banging, and so forth."

I might add that this behaviour was prevalent during the early years and
although he increasingly acquired words, he persisted in using a large
amount of onomatopoeic sounds along with speech (unlike his younger sister)
and, later, added graphics (he loved to draw his thoughts). So, I suppose
this reflects the specific proclivities of some individuals more than
others. Today, in his 30s, he continues to enjoy both modalities as
dimensions of his expressive abilities. (Examples of the actual sounds are
scattered throughout the speech diary, a portion of which is contained in
the book).

And, by the way, he recently participated in the Erasmus Mundus program,
studying in Aarhus, this past year, which he thoroughly enjoyed. Another
side note -- Aarhus was also a town that participated over many years in
international exchanges with other countries through the Danish Experiment
in International Living (which unfortunately no longer exists in Denmark),
and where I worked until retirement.

With best wishes,
Alvino

Dr Alvino E. Fantini, Professor Emeritus, SIT
Professor, Graduate School, MA in Language Communication
Kenkyu Research Center Bldg No. 1,
Matsuyama University,
4-2 Bunkyo-cho, Matsuyama, Ehime 790-85, Japan
Office tel: 089 926 7548 (Ext 42 / Cell tel: 080 5660 3640