Bilingualism and bilingual education in Aboriginal communities

Susan Foster-Cohen susan.foster-cohen at canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Sep 19 19:41:35 UTC 2007

Hi.

Here in New Zealand, there is quite a lot going on in "aboriginal" education. Below is a link to the New Zealand ministry of Education website. Click on the links for either Maori education or Pasifika education and you should find some useful info.

http://www.minedu.govt.nz/

Also, a couple of years back I did a lit review paper on early childhood bilingualism with a slant towards Pasifika groups, designed to be readable by educator types. I can send you a copy of that if you are interested. Actually, I think it's still available on the Ministry site. It was part of a scoping document on Pasifika early childhood education authored by Anne Meade, Helen Puhi Puhi and me.

Cheers,

Susan Foster-Cohen