IRB issue

Sarita Eisenberg eisenbergs at mail.montclair.edu
Tue Apr 8 14:58:29 UTC 2008

The IRB at my university withheld approval for a project - which
involves collecting conversational samples, narratives, and
expositions from school-age children - because I did not have prior
approval from specific schools for recruitment and on-site data
collection. I appealed this and the IRB has now amended their review -
the IRB will grant me permission to see participants on-campus. In
order to see participants at their schools, I must submit an amendment
to the research protocol to add a school as a participating site once
I have obtained approval from that particular school. Assuming that
any such amendment would have an expedited review, I would receive the
okay from IRB 3 weeks after submitting the amendment.
This strikes me as a needless complication and delay and I wondered
what the IRB policy about this is at other institutions.
Sarita Eisenberg